*Just two people...madly in love and living the life that dreams are made of*

Saturday, April 26, 2008

I got my first fish (a Moano) Thursday at LaniKai. I have been out 3 or four times before really just getting a feel for trying to stalk the fish and such. I saw a Manini school go past in the distance and went to investigate. They ended up heading off in the other direction when the Moano came past skimming along the bottom and I pinned it to the bottom with my 3 prong..

Well, the first of hopefully many fish got me excited and I decided to venture out a little farther. Not long after Uhu came near but not close enough to get a shot with my 6ft 3 prong (this was the first one that I have ever seen). So I stayed in the area and a few minutes later a school of 7 or 8 Kala swam up, all but one (the largest out of the school) took off away from me while the loner went slowly past up to the next collection of reef. I think it realized that everyone had left and started to double back. I was ready laying on the bottom with the spear pulled back. He kept coming close and closer... finally within range and I took a shot.... it bounced off! :roll: Damn not quite with in range and it looks like it is already time up up grade the "let's just buy some cheap Walmart gear to see if I really like it" gear.

This morning Lea and I went out to the same spot snorkeling (no 3 prong) and in about an hour saw a huge school of Pualu (~30), a female Uhu and my first ever Ulua.... the Ulua look HUGE but I have no reference point since it was the first one I have ever seen. It cruised around me for a few seconds then Lea came up and it took off.

No comments:

About Us